- Customer: Provider of IT Solutions
- Country: India
- Product Used: Ispirer MnMTK License
- Source Technology: Oracle PL/SQL
- Target Technology: Java
- Project Scope: 100,000 LOCs
- Project Duration: 2016-2017
An Indian multinational company that provides innovative IT services. The company offers best-in-class technology solutions for clients around the world and strives to meet the distinct needs of every business.
The company was considering migrating its application developed for the insurance industry, and was looking for a tool to convert PL/SQL procedures to Java. Ispirer Migration and Modernization Toolkit was selected as a useful tool for this task.
The management of the company decided to perform PoC and evaluate the result in terms of the level of migration automation and tool readiness.
The PoC Stage included converting Oracle to Java with about 100,000 lines of code contained in packages, stored procedures, and functions. Ispirer provided the customer a MnMTK license, including the Extension Package to customize the tool in accordance with the project requirements.
During the Extension Stage, the Ispirer experts developed and added to the toolkit the following features:
- In-house solution for migration of collections (Collection type Associative Arrays and Nested Tables) with our own class generation and additional methods implementation;
- OUT (IN OUT) parameters conversion;
- Arithmetic operations with intervals and datetime conversion;
- Pipelined Table Functions migration;
- Creation of functions with complex logic corresponding to Oracle system functions:
After the toolkit customization, the Oracle code was moved to Java flawlessly and required minimal fixes after migration. When converting the rest of the customer’s code, as well as in any future migrations, Oracle PL/SQL will be automatically converted to Java equivalents according to the conversion rules added to Ispirer MnMTK during this PoC.
Benefits Derived from Conversion
The Proof of Concept Stage was successfully completed in 3 months. Meanwhile, Ispirer presented a solution that met all the customer's expectations. The company's management decided to continue transferring Oracle PL/SQL code to Java using Ispirer MnMTK, which proved to be effective in automated application migration.