What is ESQL/C?
Embedded SQL (ESQL/C) is a SQL-92 standard application programming interface (API) for SQL database access. Microsoft SQL Server 2000 provides an Embedded SQL precompiler for C/C++ applications. The SQL Server precompiler translates Embedded SQL statements as calls to the appropriate DB-Library API functions.
Why to Migrate?
- Unavailability of technical documentation for ESQL API.
- Microsoft announced cancellation of ESQL/C in the coming SQL Server releases
- Microsoft encourages removing dependencies on ESQL/C in existing C/C++ applications and use OLE DB or ODBC access data in SQL Server
SQLWays automates the following conversion features:
- Adds the include files for ODBC API functions and structures:
- #include <windows.h>
- #include <sqlext.h> (automatically includes "sql.h" and "sqltypes.h")
- Converts ESQL/C database connection - EXEC SQL CONNECT TO to ODBC connectionlike:
- Allocates environment handle
- Allocate connection handle
- Establishes a connection using functions:
- Converts ESQL/C Error Handling - SQLCODE variable and SQLCA structure to ODBC Error Handling- SQLGetDiagRec() function
- Converts ESQL/C EXEC SQL statements for operation with data to corresponding ODBC API functions:
How to convert?
Please take a look at the related article:
If you use SQLWays Studio, you need to specify the following settings:
Source Database: Microsoft SQL Server
Source Database API: ESQLC
Target Database: Microsoft SQL Server
Target Database API: ODBC
SQLWays automates the entire migration of Embedded SQL (ESQL/C) to ODBC API. This allows you to dramatically decrease conversion risks and significantly reduce in-house efforts. Reasonable pricing strategy makes SQLWays even more powerful instrument for such migration type.
If you are interested in these services, please contact us for more information.