If you are interested in Ispirer Toolkit for your specific migration project, Ispirer can offer a comprehensive engagement model that includes the following steps:
Step 1. Application assessment and design
At this stage, the following items are defined:
- Initial application assessment
- Analysis of a development style and patterns
- Current capabilities of Ispirer Toolkit
- Design of migration solutions and development of new specifications
A conversion specification is a document describing in detail application code transformation rules between platforms. It contains general requirements for target platform code: naming conventions for variables, objects and methods, code style rules, readability and simplicity of maintaining. It also should contain target application architectural requirements and a detailed description of how any particular functionality should be converted to target application code.
Step 2. Tool preparation and extensive customization
At this stage, Ispirer extends Ispirer Toolkit by adding conversion rules described in the specification. Once the stage is completed, we have a customized migration tool version for a particular project:
- Custom automated conversion of business logic, database access, reports and UI
- Automation of code transformations, refactoring, optimizations
- Automation of internal guidelines and standards, using internal frameworks
Step 3. Iterative Development – frequent releases, prototypes/pilots (optional)
After completing the previous stage, the client can modify requirements based on intermediate testing results (database access optimization, changes in UI features, evaluation of various technologies etc.). All such changes can be quickly implemented in Ispirer Toolkit in accordance with a modified or new specification.
Step 4. Support during application conversion
After the stages 2-3 are successfully completed, Ispirer licenses extended Ispirer Toolkit for the product migration and provides expert support that includes fixing of specific issues and private cases, implementation of new requests created during testing.
For this engagement model the following Project Team is usually formed:
- Solution and Software Architects
Responsible for design specifications
Negotiation, discussion and conformance of provided specifications
- Tool Development
Conversion of 5 - 10% of project scope
Responsible for conversion rules development and customizations
Responsible for conversion
Responsible for client team initial training and remote support
Responsible for comprehensive testing of the whole migrated application
Responsible for basic testing of provided specifications before the tool’s delivery
Application migration is not a trivial task and timeframes depend on the complexity of source code.
Based on our experience we calculated approximate timeframes for application conversion:
- Assessment and Design require 1-2 months
- Extension of Ispirer Toolkit to support client’s specific migration requirements normally takes up to 4 months
- Ispirer Toolkit licensing (with expert support) for 12-18 months